Pages

Thursday 12 April 2012

First Impressions Count - Revamping the front door!

So when we brought the small holding the front door was pretty minging - broken glass window filled in with bubble wrap, scuffs and marks, and all varnished an unlovely orangey brown - yuck.
Above: Before - yuck

We thought about replacing it, but then I realised I really wanted a painted front door anyhow, and the paint would hide the filler and joins if we were to repair, and so I designed the new look door which included a smaller diamond shape window to replace the large rectangle and here is the design I came up with:
Above: My completely not to scale design!

I brought a grill to fit around the window perfectly, and got my clever dad to rout out some matching lines in a piece of chipboard which fit in the top part of the door perfectly.  A new piece of glass and a paint job later and (drum roll please) we ended up with this:


Above: Our gorgeous 'new' front door!

Looks like a completely different door don't ya think?!  The paint is Farrow and Ball Lichen (exterior eggshell). Best thing of all (at least so the boy would say) is that this little revamp was a whole lot cheaper than a new front door - so everyone's happy! ;)

My little secrets:
Door paint: F&B Lichen, (lady in shop v helpful)
Door grille: ironmongery direct (fab next day service)
Door knocker: Rockett St George (luv it!)
Grape Hyacinths: Ikea 69p (I know!)
Door mat: Ikea (the coir keeps falling out tho which is a pain)
Wellingtons: Hunter (of course)
Horse shoes: From the paddock!


No comments:

Post a Comment