Pages

Monday 23 April 2012

Brand New Chickens!

Wow, the chicken auction was crazy! full of hundreds of people, some who knew exactly what they were after and who could assess the hen's for their health and fecundity in one glance, and others who pointed and said 'ooh that's a pretty one'.

Unsurprisingly, we fell into the latter category, and chose our hens mostly because they looked cute and colour coordinated with each other.

We chose a lovely Lavender Orpington (Mildred) who is a gorgeous lavender grey colour (very Farrow and Ball), and a Cream Legbar (Betsy) because they lay blue eggs (I know!) and a pair of Partridge Brahma's (Mr Cock and Audrey), because every man needs a massive cock (so the boy tells me!) and this one is particularly impressive!
Above: Mr Cock looking mighty fine in his new home!
Outside the chicken house I painted myself linky here!

Above: Mr Cock and his brood -Audrey, Betsy and Mildred (l to r)

Above: Betsy, Audrey and Mildred's backside!


Already we have had 4 eggs (although one was trodden on in the excitement), and although I knew I was going to enjoy having them, I never realised how quickly I would become attached to them!

Betsy is the youngest and smallest, and was at first a little hen pecked by Audrey, but Mildred won't let her be bullied and stands up to Audrey on Betsy's behalf (I love a chicken with good moral values), and now things seem much more harmonious.

Mildred makes a great commotion for about 30 minute before she lays an egg, whereas both Audrey and Mr Cock both go crazy after Audrey lays an egg.

I am now really concerned that some sly fox will come accross them and get through the chicken wire - I had no idea they could do that, and so my next task will be to buy some heavier gauge wire mesh and try to make it all more secure - any advice on how to do this will be greatly received.

I also picked up a gorgeous vintage wire egg basket at the auction, and will be sprucing it up very soon with pictures to follow.

Right off to make an omlette! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment